Sunday, February 15, 2009

Photo Tag and the Killer Cold

There is something about being sick that is inherently selfish. I kinda like it. I mean, your health is down and no one can blame you for taking time to ignore everything else except babying yourself. Moreover, if you have a loved one nearby, they support this effort in focusing all TLC on you. So usually, if I get a cold or something similar, I accept it as natures way of telling me to slow down and take many, many naps. But I don't think that cheery outlook is going to work this time. I have come down with what I'm dramatically terming the "Killer Cold that ate my face"...this title was inspired by this cold making my face ache. Like I ran into a brick wall and didn't break anything, but sure as heck bruised the majority of my face. Moreover, its affected my ability to take all those naps. I can't breathe through my nose, and breathing through my mouth tickles my sensitive/not-yet-sore throat to where it keeps me awake. Oh, and when I do manage to sleep, the Sri Lankan room cleaners/maintenance guys are bugging me to clean my room or something. The first time, I gave them some privacy and went into work where I just sat there wanting to die a little bit. The second time, I think we misunderstood each other and they left for parts unknown and I attempted to go back to sleep. The third time, I was like, screw it, and let them in and promptly put on my sleep mask, burrowed under my covers and let them have their way with my room while they drilled...something. I'm sure they thought I was crazy. Whatev's. So here I am, staying up to watch Lost, still wanting to die while my head threatens to explode and my nose rubbed raw from continual snot emissions, switching from hot to cold to hot about every 20 minutes, and really wishing I could get some of that aforementioned TLC. But since I can't, I'll just lay here and feel sorry for myself.

On a much more positive note, I've gotten a couple of amazing care packages from some dear family members in the past month or so. Thank you all of you. Now I just need one of you to ship yourselves over and come baby me while I act like the world revolves around me. Seriously, they are so good. I'm going to need each and every one of you to live in a warzone in the future so I can attempt to reciprocate. Get on that. I think I have one last package (of my own doing) arriving before my R&R in two weeks. TWO WEEKS!!! That is CRAZY!!! I mean, there were definitaly times I felt like I was going to go crazy and end up that stapler-obsessed guy from Office Space if I had to stay here one minute longer. And that might still happen. But the past two weeks have flown by, and I'm fairly positive the next two weeks will as well, and very soon, I will be hanging out with the Southerland clan, forcing Joe to teach me the same French phrase I won't remember, playing with my HUGE nephew (no, that's not a fat joke...seriously, that boy has some long arms and legs...when did he become a little man?) and shooting the breeze/psycho-analyzing with Emily. This will of course involve some Jimmy Johns and/or CPK. Just sayin'.

Lastly, I was tagged in a post by Tamara earlier this week and totes did not even notice until I visited it for a second time. Funsies!!! I'm not going to post the explanation b/c I'm not going to tag anyone since you alls were already tagged and/or know to what I refer. And, I can't follow the 5th picture in the 5th folder rule hardcore b/c my fifth folder has no pictures in it, so I pretended it didn't exist and present to you the following:



This is a picture taken about a year ago (I think??) by our photographer extraordinaire, Emily, in front of The Pasta House after a delicious Saturday brunch. Yes, you read me right...The Pasta House not only has a brunch, but they serve it on Saturdays as well as Sundays, a rarity in brunch world. And I think they started on the brunch thing to compete with other CWE eateries and their brunches. I don't recall what I had, but I'm sure it was delicious. Kyle was in town form some random weekend, and this was the best way to visit with the Southerland crew and get a meal in...and I'm fairly positive we went straight to The Cupcakery after this. We are a group ruled by our stomachs and the enticement of walking there so we feel like we've burned off some calories. I miss that necklace I'm wearing, as it was misplaced by my friend Jenna in Wichita, and then Kyle was supposed to pick it up at the store she left it at and never did. Boy owes me a necklace.

Mmmm, that was a good memory. Thanks Em for taking pictures of the good times in our lives!

5 comments:

Steve said...

Tamara has had a cold of some form or degree of severity for the last 6 weeks. Sometimes it's not that noticeable, and sometimes she can't breathe/sleep/smell/talk in a non-nasal voice. She's tried different meds and could be getting over it, but I know she feels your pain, sis.

I've had a cold for a week now, and it appears to be on the way out, so I feel a little bit of your pain.

What are your CoMo plans (besides coming in to see Kirsti's play? plus I may join you Thursday night for that)

Tamara said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are not doing so well! And I love the pic you posted...you look so cute there! I loved doing the post b/c of the great memories it brought back for me, and I hope it did just as much for you, too. We are thinking of you often, and can't wait for your visit!!! Let the countdown BEGIN (or has it already begun....lol)

Peeser said...

I'm sorry I'm not there to baby you. Weirdly enough, I generally enjoy the chance to baby a sickly friend or relative (as long as they aren't seriously puking and/or making themselves obnoxious...). If Steven had followed my advice years ago and had actually invented a transporter, I could make you a tasty (or comforting) treat and transport it over to you right away. As it is, I will pray that you get well soon so you can enjoy your R&R when it comes!

Speaking of which, as far as I know, Juli and I are planning on being in MO that weekend of March 6-8 (barring unforseen circumstances). A thought I had is that we could try to make it as far as ST. Louis on Friday, spend the night/morning there, then head to Columbia Saturday afternoon- but I'm not sure how that works with your flight schedule and what not. Let me know what you think...

OH, and I agree with Tamara- that is a darling photo of you and Kyle (how is that boy doing?)

lots of love!

J.Ammon said...

Being sick sure sucks. Do they force you to work? Do they tape your eyes open and duct tape you to a chair and force you to type?

I know I would.

Honestly, suck it up Beezo. :)

I'd have to say the roughest part for me would be the lack of external TLC. And also not having a drill to releive the pressure in my head.

I look forward to seein ya!

Emily S. said...

loved that mornin', too... and yes, it DID involve cupcakes! YAY cupcakes!!!

Can't wait til you get here! I need you!

(feel better soon!!)