Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Bright Spot in a Dusty Day

It is sandstorm season here in Tikrit, which means that Flo is going to spend every day hacking and coughing and pretending that every little cloud she sees is proof of worse sandstorms to come. It also means that getting out of Tikrit for any reason, by any means, is all the harder. So I approach my upcoming R&R with some trepidation. I will either get to Baghdad extremely early and have to find some way to spend my days in a place I remember to be as bad, if not worse, than Kuwait, or I miss my oppurtunity/flight and have to find some way to meet up with Kathy and Kyle later. But these are things to worry about in a few days.

In the meantime, I have to mention the amazing care package I got the other day from Tamara and Steven. Completely unexpected and entirely delightful, it is the best part of my week. They wrote little notes for every item, which just added to the amusement. My personal favorite that still makes me laugh out loud was attached to a mini "Daily Spanish for Dummies." It said (written by Steven): "Some Spanish to help for your trip to Greece. (Tamara in backgroung) 'Um, I think they speek Greek in Greece, not Spanish.' Me, 'Babe, I am the geography king. I won the Oakland geography bee in the 7th grade. Don't argue.' (Tamara rolls her eyes)."

Classic high jinx from these two.

It also included some chocolate yummies, gum, a "Middle-East Conflict for Dummies", EW, crosswords, a recycled bag, and a few other goodies. Thank you so much you two...it was so very thoughtful and well-received. I love you both and I hope you had as much fun compiling this package as it seems you did.

On another note, I'm watching Firefly, lent to me by my very gracious sister, Sarah. With the way I'm plowing through it, I should be watching the movie shortly. I think I've mentioned on twitter that it is hard to keep watching knowing that it is going to end very soon. It only took a couple of episodes to become absolutely hooked to these characters and the unique stories that are told. So if anyone wants to talk Firefly in the future, I'm game.

Other than that, things are pretty much same old, same old. I have an Iraqi version of senioritis, where it is really hard for me to care/invest in anything I do here since the end is so near. I planned out my 2nd and 3rd R&R's with the intent of having the longest stretch of time behind me by the end of my 2nd, not realizing that I would come back so not wanting to work or do anything. And pretty much resenting anyone who dares ask me to learn anything new. I struggle every day to get through it and just keep telling myself that if I continue with this attitude, the gods will smite me and force me to stay another year, all b/c I counted my going home eggs before they hatched. I fear the time after this upcoming R&R most of all. The fact that it is hard to quit and just walk off will work in my favor here. For all those wondering, I will probably stay till mid-late July. I want to stay on so Dave can take his R&R, which he plans to take at the beginning of July, and then hang for a week after, so I don't thrust the whole program at him immediately after he lands. I don't think there will be anyone new to train, b/c word on the downlow is that they are cutting back so much here, there will only be one project controls person (that's what I do, if you are confused). So naturally it would be Dave...and hopefully he isn't thinking the same about me.

I miss you all dearly and really don't know what half of you are doing right now/how you are doing. Heck, I'll call you out...that way, if someone else knows how you are doing, they can shoot me an email. Juli, Kirsti...hmmm, not as many as I thought. I've gotten a couple of cards from Elise, so I know she is well enough to address an envelope, I talk to mom and dad weekly, so I know how the pets are (and every story delights me more than the last), Sarah blogs regularly, Steven and Tamara just sent me a package, so they are doing fine, talked to Em last week and despite being the caretaker of a male sickhouse, her crew is doing fine (headed back from Wisconsin, if I believe), so yeah, that just leaves Kirsti and Juli. Are they alive? Are they well? Someone drop me a line and let me know.

Have a great day of the dead (what I used to think Cinco de Mayo stood for and would wish people, and I find it so amusing how wrong I was that I continue to do it)!!

6 comments:

Steve said...

I LOVE Firefly. And I have Sarah to thank for getting me hooked. We can talk all you want.

Speaking of which, is Thursday night this week a good day to call?

Happy Sandstorm with Flo!

Julina said...

I'm alive, if not exactly well. I totally get the senioritis thing, but that's a subject for another time (and probably not while I'm typing on my work computer).

When can I call you?

Hang in there...

love ya-

(oh, my equivalent to your "Greece" is "Wicked" on June 12 in Indy... :-)

Peeser said...

I am borrowing Firefly/Serenity (both) from a friend, but I haven't yet had time to watch it. I am excited about it, though, because I have only heard good things (I'm not surprised- after all, it is Joss Whedon, the creative genius behind the beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer ;)

I know I promised a package a few weeks ago. I finally have it finished and ready to mail- I will probably get to the P.O. by Wednesday...

I hope all goes well for your much anticipated R&R. "Bring me back something French..." (I mean, Greek).

(Can you name THAT quote? :)

Sarah Lambson said...

I am SOOO excited that you LOVE firefly! Every time I suggest it to someone, I think (if they don't like it, I can never speak to them again).

So I'm glad that I can still speak to you.

I almost bought seasons 1-5 of Angel just because Joss did it. (I only watched the lase season with Spike in it.)

Every time I read or hear the name Flo from you, I think of Finding Nemo :)

Thats all. Hope you get to Greece okay!

Emily S. said...

hey! I have been remiss in blog commenting here.... Three posts without a comment! Ay-yi-yi!

Thanks for recapping the Spanish-for Dummies note... it had ME giggling, too! :) :)

I wish..... you could come home sooner. *sigh*

But I'll deal.

Hang in there!!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

I even like Firefly. And I agree - it was hard to watch knowing that there was going to be such a quick end to the enjoyment. Even the movie left me wanting more. I think it is a combination of Joss but also the lead guy whose name I can't remember. There is something about him - reminds me a bit of Bruce Willis in his early days....