Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Quick Check-In


Just a little update to let everyone know how I am doing...As you can see, Luna is doing just fine as long as she has the wind in her hair (she needs a haircut).


Since I last wrote, we have been visited by Kathy for 10 days and snuck in a 3 day trip to Maui.  While there, we did an activity called "The Road to Hana".  I will definitely be blogging about this soon, as it takes more than a couple of photo's and paragraphs to even begin to describe this journey, but here is the readers digest version.  The Road to Hana is a road that goes around one side of the island.  Sugar plantation workers used to have to use it to get to work.  It is a windy road that is frequently steep, with hairpin turns, skinny roads, and many, many one-way bridges.  I was terrified to go, but somehow, making sure I was the driver, I ensured that my fear was kept low and my motion sickness non-existent, b/c I could control the acceleration/braking which normally causes my illness.  It. Was. Amazing.  Below is a pick of us as one of the more popular spots, Wai'anapanapa State Park, where there is a black sand beach and lava rocks that create a really cool blowhole.  

Below here is the jeep we rented in Maui. It was the best way to travel, and we only encountered rain for a few minutes near the end.


After Kathy's visit, we took February off from mainlander visitors.  I got a job at the Honolulu Museum of Art Cafe, where Kyle works. They are only open Tuesday through Saturday for lunch, it is great money for the short time I am there, and I have made some great friends.  Their food, keeping up with Museum food tradition, is fantastic.  Whoever visits me, we will definitely be eating there.  

March brought a visit from a friend of ours to Kauai, another Hawaii island.  Charles was spending his whole week there, so Kyle and I island hopped again and spent three days there.  Just to give you a bit of visualization (b/c I haven't uploaded the photo's yet), that is the island where Jurassic Park was filmed.  It is called the Garden Isle, and contains the rainiest spot in the world.  I loved it.  It is small, no city there has more than 10,000 people, it contained my favorite beach where if I had to die via asteroid (ala Deep Impact), I would want to be there.  They had AMAZING fish taco's, and an adorable cafe called Art Cafe Hemingway, where I had the best croissant outside of France.  If I wanted to buy property on Hawaii, this island would be it.  We had a great visit, and then hopped back over to our dogs and life.

This month has been spent working, finding a mattress (thanks to all those who contributed to the fund!!!), slowly learning the ukulele (thanks Mom and Dad for the b-day gift), learning to poach eggs (I'm unreasonably proud of this one), and learning more of my island self.  I miss you all dearly, but I will be back in June for Juli's wedding and some quality family time.  I can't wait to see you all.  And heck, if I can strum out a singable song, I'll bring a little of Hawaii to you with the ukulele, and maybe some macadamia nut candies.  

In the meantime, before I dissuade you from visiting me b/c the other islands seem more appealing, below is a pic of Kailua beach, a drive across Oahu, and a beach I love the frequent.  So don't you worry; if you come see me, you will get daily reminders that there is paradise in the middle of the pacific. (Below is a real pic...not one I stole)



3 comments:

Steve said...

This really goes without saying, but I want to go to there.

Ellaniemae said...

Island life is REALLY agreeing with you! I miss you terribly and cannot wait until June when you come home. Have you looked into the Disney Resort: Aulani? (I stole this description from their website: "This beachfront Resort is nestled between the lush green mountains and beautiful ocean waters in Ko Olina on the leeward side of the island—far enough away from the crowds but close enough to enjoy all the wonders of Oʻahu." If you go, I want to see pictures...

Sarah Lambson said...

I cannot WAIT to visit, fall in LOVE with Hawaii, the MOVE THERE. (: Miss you!!