Friday, June 27, 2008

Abandoned by Saddam's old Stadiums...

Okay, first off, I plan to start commenting on all of your blogs, as I love that you all have taken an interest in mine, and I need to reciprocate. It's a delight to come on here and see that the words I've typed are not merely practice, but hold some relevance as there are people out there who read them. Thanks, y'all.

Second, today I ventured out with my boss/supervisor/only person I work with regularly Dave to go to the post office. He was dropping me off while he went to the PX for supplies. He refuses to eat at the DFAC and gets basic groceries weekly at our large PX, which is like a small grocery/convenience store. It's what I imagine general stores were to developing towns out west in the 1800's. This gave me my first realized look at the landscape surrounding us. I caught glimpses on my way from the airfield my second day, but I was in such a misery-haze, nothing really registered. What's out there you ask? A whole lotta nothing. I mean, we stayed on base (which is huge), so I wasn't expecting a middle-eastern market or a mosque, but maybe some vegetation or hills. Nope, just flat, barren brownness. What's sad is that I'm pretty sure this was a lively area before the days of the Iran/Iraq war. But most of it got destroyed in that struggle, and abandoned until U.S. occupation. We took one look around and said, "yep, it's depressing and barren enough for us to build the second largest military base in Iraq."

Continuing on, the drive was fascinating, if not aesthetically pleasing. Dave went to drop me off at what he thought was the post office. I went up and it looked awfully sketchy. I managed to stall him while i took another look around. While he waited, I went into this building that had clearly been abandoned and ransacked. By whom, I'll never know. It was eerie walking through the halls, looking for a sign of a post office. In hindsight, clearly nothing of value was in here and I was wasting my time, but I like to exhaust all my options before dismissing them, so I followed the hallway down. There were discarded mattresses in all the rooms, a lot of broken glass, broken wooden furniture. It reminded me of a dorm. It made me think of that place in the movie "Children of Men" where Clive Owen helps the last pregnant woman on Earth give birth, but without the people. Very desolate. I went back out and told Dave he was completely wrong, and we managed to find the real post office.

Once there, I got my work done rather quickly and went outside to wait for Dave. I was literally 100 yards away from one of Saddam Hussein's old stadiums where they originally had sporting events, then soldier marches, and finally, mass Iraqi-civilian deaths. It was pretty destroyed from the war, but enough of a structure remained to get an impression. When I go back, I will take a picture so you can see it. It's just so fascinating and humbling to be amongst all this history, (mostly tragic), but not really understand what you are surrounded by because its been turned into an American army base. I feel like we are missing out. I mean, they don't even name the streets anything remotely related to Iraq. They are all military based names. It just makes you wonder how hard we are trying as Americans, to understand the true nature and plight of the Iraqi people. It's like all these military bases are Little America in Iraq. For some, that's a comfort, but for me it would be nice to see a blending of cultures while we are staying in their country.

On another note, each time I see a truck drive by with the medical cross on it, I start whistling the theme to M.A.S.H. I really think they should air re-runs of that on their Army Television Network. It just makes sense.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Once you get your M.A.S.H. inititiative realized, you should try for Hogan's Heroes. Yeah, we're not fighting Germans, but hay, we're not fighting Koreans either.

I have to admit, I felt a bit of anxiety as I read you entry today- anxiety that my gilded image of the war in Iraq may become a bit tarnished. I realize at this very second that there will be too much to write in a comment, so I will put it on my blog. Look for it today or tomorrow.

Love you and hang in there!

Tamara said...

Wow Beckster...thanks for giving me (& I'm sure all) a reality check. For real, though! I NEVER even though of the whole blending of cultures, and us just taking over their country in the way that you did just now. That is amazing to me that you are already noticing such small things, and it's great that you can recognize that and share it with us here. I'm glad we have the freedoms in the USA that we do, but am saddened that the Iraquis don't get many of those, and I expect they never will, even after much time, money, and blood that have been spent.

Sad, really.

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

How big would you say Speicher is - miles and miles?

How much access do you have to books? I listened to 1000 Splendid Suns (by Kite Runner author) on audio book and it was a fascinating into the Muslim culture in Afghanistan. I recommend it.

Peeser said...

I like your idea of M.A.S.H. re-runs, not just because they're hilariously entertaining, but also because they many of their thought-provoking comments spark further evaluation of our own ideas of war and other such things.

As Steven mentions on his blog, and as you have said here, the state of things now does cause one to reflect on where we are at as a country, as a government, as a people... I agree that it is a sad thing to see that, in trying to accomplish the objective of peace (or at least a temporary ceasefire) in the Middle East, we are overlooking the opportunity to understand the very people we are trying to help. I don't know if that is because we have tried and found that tactic lacking, or if we have simply chosen to make that understanding between peoples a secondary objective to that of establishing the other primary military objectives...

whatever the case, i think it would only make sense that in order to form any kind of government/military/civilian order and peace in Iraq, we would have to understand the people.

sad to say, perhaps that is what our government is afraid of, because often, understanding creates sympathy...

still, i am glad to see that you, at least, are taking time to notice things like that, and I hope you continue to learn and grow by such experiences.

(sorry for writing so much again- i'll try to keep my comments more brief in the future)