Sunday, June 29, 2008

Quick answer session...

Okay, I didn't realize how political I sounded in that last entry. I didn't mean to be. I hope no one has gotten the impression that I think we are wrong in being over here. I don't know what I think. But I love that it has gotten others thinking. How many times can I type think???

Long story short, I am still undecided on the whole issue. I've actually talked to a few native Iraqi's and their opinions are largely positive on the whole thing. Granted, I haven't talked to any of the insurgents or those fighting the troops, and I don't plan to. Therefore, my sample is skewed. Overall though, the sentiment I get over here is that Saddam needed to be taken down, they needed help doing it and WMD be danged. The differences of opinion comes from our continued occupation, and that's a matter I don't know how I feel about quite yet. But I love talking about it. Shocker, Beckie loves to debate current social issues. Man, if they made this into an episode of Law and Order (ripped from the headlines), I'd be even more excited.

Mom, I don't have access to a library, that I know of. This base is miles long, I can't even ballpark it. Lets just say it houses 15,000 people (soldiers and civilians) and we are not crammed in here. But I do get mail, so if you own 1000 Suns, feel free to send it. I've been wanting to read that.

Juli, anyone who wants to read this is more than welcome. I'll try to proofread better.

And if anyone knows how to post others blogs on the side of my blog, shoot me an email with simple instructions. I'll move on to pictures once I have that accomplished.

Today was a long day. I wanted to get out of there much sooner, but as it always happens when you expect something, things didn't go as planned. A bunch of projects came in that needed to be proofed and input and that is a slow, tedious day. Plus, I think my supervisor wasn't feeling good, so he was rather short with me. And the thing of it is, I still don't know enough, so I feel like I deserve it. I just wish I was more experienced.

I also watched Sabatour last night, one of Hitchcocks earlier works. It was so good. I feared that since I rarely hear about it, and it doesn't make "Best of Hitchcock" list, it might be a bit subpar. But it was delightful. I loved the female lead in it and the small character parts. There is a bearded lady and an end scene on the Statue of Liberty, just to entice you. I've only brought my Alfred Hitchcock collection (thanks again mom, dad and elise) and Lord of the Rings in terms of movies, so I'm afraid my entries about film will largely be centered on this. I am considering indulging in Planet Earth, the BBC documentary. If anyone's seen it, please feel free to give me your personal review.

Love you all...sorry this lacks the usual wit (I'm worn out)

Beckie

6 comments:

Steve said...

hope you get to relax today- and i look forward to getting all loud and mouthy over current events. Love you sis!

Tamara said...

Can't wait to see you in a few months! Keep up the good work...even if some get a bit crabby every now & then. In a place like where you are, I'm sure it's easy to get upset/overwhelmed/tired/cranky. You are a trouper and can make anyone smile, even when everything seems to be fallin apart.

Sarah Lambson said...

Can I just say again that I am so happy that you have a blog now? I love hearing about your life! Here is how to put others blogs on the side of your blog if no oe else has let you know:

1.when you are at your dashboard(or your homepage..whatever) click on the "layout" tab at the top next to "settings" and "posting".
2.there should be a screen that comes up showing the basic layout of your blog. ON the right side above your "about me" section there is a linked tab that says, "add page element". Go there.
3.you get a popup that will give you several options. You can wither choose blog list or link list.
4.copy and paste the links to our favorite blogs and there you go!dont forget to hit the save button once you are done.

Hope that helps!

Julina said...

This is one of the reasons I'm glad you're blogging - you're getting a perspective and experience that none of us have had, and I appreciate your efforts to share it. Especially 'cause no one (especially not news people) can manage quite the humor and sarcasm of our Beckie :-)

Glad the building (from your last post) really was abandoned, with no nasty surprises (though I would have felt like I was in one of those horror movies and would have been waiting for some horrible creature to jump out at me...) OK, maybe I shouldn't have shared that. Oh well.

Have a good week - love you

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

I vote yes for Planet Earth. Then I can borrow it from you. What I have seen of it is just amazing. Kirsti will agree.

I checked out 1000 Splendid Suns as an audio book to listen to while I drove back alone from Indianapolis. So, sorry. I have read a couple of good books lately, though, and will gladly shoot them your way.

Peeser said...

I'm glad you're enjoying Hitchcock (honestly, I wish I had that collection, too, because there are a lot of movies of his that I would love to see, and it would just be so dang convenient to have them all, rather than try to track them down in rental stores)

I have also heard great things about Planet EArth (though I haven't seen much of it, only snips here and there- I think one of our biology teachers has it and shared a small portion of it during a technology training session)

(and mom, you probably shouldn't talk about shooting things in a blog like this ;)