Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Confuse in Tikrit.

Hmmm, I thought I just uploaded a picture, but I'm not sure it worked. Technology is confusing. I'll try on the next post. Until then, this is going to be a dull, text-heavy blog.

There is this guy who works in one of the trailers, who wears your standard uniform of sturdy pants, a shirt and boots. However, he wears a long-sleeved mock turtleneck type top, and then, wears a fleece sleeveless thing over that. You know how those "trendy" outdoorsy types do on their weekends, it's kinda like that. The reason why I point this out is because it is 130 degrees over here. It's like he is so attached to his image, no amount of heat advisories will stop him. He probably wears that fleece thing in the pool.

Sadly, the picture I tried to upload was not of him. I think he might get suspicious if I try to take his picture without even knowing his name. I only know half the names here. Everyone knows mine. Everyone is also super nice. I seriously cannot recall a group of people being so genuinely kind in my life. I mean, I'm not making life-long best friends here, and I don't imagine I will. But the basic friendliness I get really makes things easier. That, and the fact that they haven't blocked gmail from my computer. When that day comes, it's gonna be ugly. (I don't think that day is coming, I'm merely speculating for dramatic effect).

One thing that is surprisingly frustrating is the way I have to word emails. Because everyone I work with is government, I have to be careful in my rhetoric. That's fine, I know how to be polite and clear. But even that's not good enough. I mean, there are certain commanders who take issue with my saying, "communicates with district staff." They would rather hear "collaborates with district staff." Tomato, tomahto. There's a war going on and that's what you nitpick about??? So, I fear this is going to drive me slowly up the wall and at the end of this year, I'll either be a pod person like them, or an anarchist. Just a heads up to those I love...


Until later...

7 comments:

Steve said...

Steve: Ummm...we'd appreciate it if you would replace the words "tomato, tomahto" with "pee-pee soaked heckhole...I mean "potato, potahto."

Beckie: Cheerfully withdrawn

Emily S. said...

I think you SHOULD snap a picture. Make him wonder.

Hey, if you ever have any bloggy questions, I can try to help!

:)

Julina said...

At least they're not cutting out entire sections of your letters, like they did in the World Wars...

Have a great day :-)

Tamara said...

ha ha ha...we now have a true STALKER in the family (other than myself)....those people would really amuse me. I love to look at people and make-up stories (others would refer to it as gossip, lies, or judging them) but I just refer to it as fun & games. Hey, if you gotta stare at computer and wonder about potahtos vs tomahtos here....ya need someone to look at and laugh. I'm glad SOMEONE is amusing over there. Just think of life in Iraq w/o such a thing....dull. Who knows....maybe he'll take you on your first date over there.....

he he he

Sarah Lambson said...

Man, I wish all the interns that I work with were as friendly as the peole you work with. Don't get me wrong. They are awesome. But once we all got past the "we just met" politeness phase it's all about teasing, sarcasam and bickering. Plus seeing the real side of people who seem normal at first is a little scary sometimes. Like my vegan roommate. I'm not sure what to make of her.

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Maybe the guy has an under active thyroid? Or maybe he turns his AC down to 55 degrees? That is pretty funny, nonetheless.

Peeser said...

maybe this guy really grew up in the middle of the Sahara and for him, 125 degrees is COLD!

and if you have to choose between being a pod person or an anarchist, i'd say go for the pod person- because then you get the fun of watching everyone else trying to figure out if you are you or someone else, whereas the anarchist is usually too easy to figure out.

(and i agree with Emily- take the picture of the heat freak)