Sunday, August 17, 2008

An attempt at some pictures...

Hello all. I apologize for my extended absence. I won't go into details now, but let's just say numerous times the MWR trailer has failed me. We aren't speaking right now, but we can be in the same room. Progress.

I am going to attempt to post some pictures of my surroundings. We will see how it goes.






Alright, this here is a picture of the bunker I am to run into if an air-raid or something to that effect occurs. Hasn't happened yet, and I'm not gonna lie, I will be a happy camper if I never see the inside of that sucker. These sandbag surrounded bunkers are all over the USACE and other compounds. In fact, in the unfortunate event that I may need this, I doubt I will be joined by anyone in here b/c there are so many to choose from. And being alone frightens me. I mean, Florentine (S-Tina to Emily), the administrative assistant who I talk to a lot once was in her bunker during one of many air-raids in the early days of the war, fell asleep, and no one thought to tell her when it was all done. She woke up a couple of hours later, walked into work and was like, "Why didn't anyone tell me I could go back?" Apparently, they are supposed go bunker to bunker to do a head count. I still laugh thinking about her napping during an air-raid, decked out in her gear, which leads me to...




This is my official gear. Much better than most as it is lighter and prettier. The other's have these brick filled camo-versions. I'll try to get a picture of that later so you can compare. I keep this in my work trailer, where we are required to keep it. I've only worn it once, on my flight from Baghdad to Speicher, and it was not fun. I didn't wear the helmet b/c I'll be honest with you; I'm not sure if I can work it right. I really need to try it out, but the only time I have was in front of expert military folks and I already looked like a fish out of water...why encourage that image?


Alright, so this is the Town Square so to speak. First off, notice those two lovely patches of grass that they justify owning a self-propelling mower for. Second, notice the cute little lights. They really try to make us feel like we are in a cul-de-sac or something. Lastly, you will notice that structure there in the middle. Not only does it have ceiling fans in it (why??), but it has speakers hooked up and lighting; once a week, Aloha Bob (he's from Hawaii if you don't get it) set's up his awesome movie screen, his projector and shows a movie for anyone who wants to see it. I watched "No Country For Old Men" there. Unfortunately, the other movie choices are often lacking (he's apparently a big Jackie Chan fan...and not the good Jackie Chan movies), so I don't usually partake. But it's nice to know about. On the other side are a bunch of picnic tables, automatic seating for our monthly Hail and Farewells. And when we bid adieu to our commander, this place was packed with chairs and coolers for bottled water. Even then, I had to stand for most of it, b/c chairs are for important people. Not lowly contractors. I'm filing a discrimination lawsuit as we speak.

Lastly, we have the famous picture I couldn't upload but had you all pitted in a fierce competition to guess. Well, I guess it was more mild than fierce. Sad for me. I like to see biting involved in all competitive pursuits. Anyways, these signs are posted ALL OVER the laundry room. The funny thing is, while I don't think any of us would send out fliers of the information we deal with, neither do we really handle that sensitive of material. Sure, maybe the E&C chief does, as well as our commander. But the majority of us deal with plain ole' contracts and projects. Oh, and proof that aliens exist and live in Iceland. But you all knew that, right? Right? ***uh-oh***

I think I've been successful here, which renews my desire to get some good pictures. Next time I head to the post office, I'll attempt a pic of Saddam's stadiums. And I want to get a good one of our many dust storms (it turns almost orange). And a Black Hawk helicopter would be nice. So stay tuned...

6 comments:

Tamara said...

First of all, that is a LOT of sand (both on the ground & in bags)...what is it for? Do they expect it to flood around there anytime soon? ha ha ha

Secondly, that army outfit is too funny...and the fact that they had you suit up in front of so many experts in the field...don't think I would've liked tha tone bit, either.

That sign in the laundry room is funny, too...I was WAAAAAY off! So, are they encouraging you to go through the belongings of others as well? Or they just want you to clean out your drawers before "important" documents are washed....very interesting!

Can't wait to see Saddam's old stompin' grounds!

Emily S. said...

good comments, Tamara!

And Beez- I laughed at the S-Tina nickname... :)

And I am a BAAAD sister for never REALLY emailing you back. The longer I go without doing it, the worse I feel, so I put it off even longer. Bad cycle.

And I LOVED the photo post! Congrats on its success. I look forward to more!

Steve said...

the fake-looking grass and the lights (which are kind of creepy to me) made me laugh. they also reminded me of the first X-Files movie, when the bad guys dug into the earth and found aliens, then simply covered up their tracks with a playground and some well-placed sod.

yeah, the lights, especially, remind me of that. and the cool scene from The Prestige with the light bulbs in the ground. eery in a way.

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

YEA! Pictures from Iraq. I am so happy. And, your blog is always one for a good laugh. Poor Florentine! I don't get the nickname (?). Take pics of inside your living quarters, too.

Peeser said...

As much as i love her, i am both sad and annoyed that Tonks does not seem to understand that I do not need her assistance to type...

Thanks for sharing the pics, Beckie- STeven is right- the faux suburban neighborhood pic is a little eerie- kind of like those 1960s shows where all the houses and lawns are picture-perfect cookie-cut-out homes...

I hope you never have to take a nap in a lonely bunker.

You should be getting a package soon.

And I can't really make any promises, but Tonks may try to make a cameo in October.

Do you get to see any of the Olympics?

I think that is all for now.

Love ya, Beezo!

Sarah Lambson said...

This is me admitting that I am a horible sister.

I try to catch up on blogs once a week. I do this by going down the list that I have on MY blog. For some reason, yours is still not on that list and I have not visited your blog since the first few entries.

I promise to be better. I know how much I love getting comments.

I missed the guessing contest. But I did laugh my face off at the picture none the less. I thought that I had it bad out here. But as I here about all the things that you miss, I feel bad for you. At least I get yummy food every once in a while.

I can't wait to see you in October! Gosh that seems far away. I hope time goes fast. GOod luck with the studying. I need to remember to try to get along better with my professors!

Love ya!