Sunday, August 3, 2008

Give it up for the downhill slope!

Alright, I've officially been here longer than it will be till October. I promise to stop with this countdown stuff...no, I can't promise that. It's just that in my mind, reaching August 1st was such a milestone. It signifies a lot of other stuff as well. For instance, I need to kick my GRE studying into high gear, as well as officially pick the schools I plan to apply to. Also, it means that near the end of the month, I need to start hammering out my schedule for the 2+ weeks in the States, which involves an eye doctor appointment, the GRE, paying off some loans, stuff like this. You would think I would dread all of that, but as it means I will be around your smiling faces, I have no negative feelings towards any of it. So August promises to be super productive (cross your fingers) and just closer to October as every day goes by. BTW's, I'm so obsessed with this visit, I don't know how you missionaries out there did it, going 18 months to a year without seeing family and friends, and only 2 phone calls a year. I have even MORE respect for all of you.

Today was a good day. I can't really explain why, I just walked with a lighter step. Maybe it was because the gym didn't kick my butt as hard as it normally does. Maybe it was because I caught 10 minutes of the first Harry Potter movie and loved seeing Daniel Radcliffe so young. (Sidenote, can you believe I hadn't had any interest in reading the books until after seeing the first movie? I mean, talk about clueless. That fateful night viewing the first film with Juli and others I can't remember changed my life). My good mood could stem from the fact that I am slowly but surely grasping my complicated job. Yes, 80% of it is just data entry and downloads, but that last 20% requires an amazing memory, analysis skills, and a firm hand, which has been hard to learn. So having some small successes really makes my day. I think a large part of this mood though comes from all the love and support I get from you guys and from my friends. I mean, you all have really stepped it up and given me so much more than I could hope for. For instance (personal shout-out time):
Mom and Dad: I love the phone calls we have every week. Whether we are talking finances, mom's easy job(jealous), Trissy, the great sports year, or the current political climate (war with Iran, Yikes!), it's a great conversation. Thanks for taking time out of your Friday nights to make my Saturday's something to look forward to.
Juli: Once again, the care package was, and still is, fantastic. I also love your comments on my blog, b/c I know that internet access for you is similar to mine...very limited. I know you are thinking about me often and I can feel it through your loving words.
Em/Joe/Noah: The updates on your family, through all of your blogs. I was such a huge part of your lives for a year, and it became addictive. It's been really hard to let go of being with you all. Eating dinner at your house, sitting together amazed at what a wonderful kid you two have, going to movies (pre-Noah), hanging in the CWE, our mutual love of Jack in the Box, I miss it all. Thank you again for letting me be a part of your family, and thanks for keeping me in the loop so that my return will (hopefully) be seamless.
Elise: For your entertaining life updates and sharing my life with mutual friends. I love that you've updated fellow acquaintances at Cracker Barrel. You keep that bridge going with people from our past that I always seem to burn (inadvertantly usually). And I'm grateful that you treasure relationships more than I, because lets face it, I'm horrible at staying in touch. And talking to you on the phone was a delightful treat. Good luck with Tonks!!!
Steven/Tamara: You two have been especially awesome at letting me know how you are doing (through your blogs) and taking an interest in mine. I love the emails I get from you two, the gchats that randomly happen with Steven, and the promise of a delicious meal out with you two in October.
Sarah: With both of us being in such different places, communication is harder for us. But knowing that you are also going through such a life-changing experience really builds a comraderie. Oh the stories we will tell each other that the others will only be confused by, b/c their summers have not been the culture shock that ours have been.
Kirsti: your emails. I hope you don't mind writing them, because I have found them to be so entertaining. I remember Juli always saying to me as I grew from a 13 year old to the woman that I am now, "I love the person you are becoming. It's so amazing to watch." Okay, those aren't exact words, but I remember being equally confused and delighted at that statement. Now I understand where she is coming from. Reading your emails has really opened my eyes (further) to the fantastic person you are becoming. I've always adored you, but now it's really cool to know you as an (almost) adult.

Okay, that's the only sappy email you all are getting this month. Seriously though, writing this has only opened my eyes further at how amazingly lucky I am to have all of you. I can get through any year, anywhere, as long as you folks are backing me up.

5 comments:

Emily S. said...

i loved every word of this. and not just because i hungrily searched out the nods to ME ME ME.... :)

I just love that everyone is looking out for you in one way or another, and that you are getting to feel it even a little bit.

And gratitude is SUCH a deep and heathly way to live. Keep it up.

Miss you.

Tamara said...

I remember as a missionary having those same feelings....the eagerness at getting an email or the excitement of opening up an envelope. I remember the tears that would fall before & after the phone calls (of course we DID only get to talk to family twice a year....you are luckier than I was!). It is such a blessing to have a great family here...one that supports you and loves you no matter what! I want you to know that we miss you and talk about you on Sundays, and look forward to playing Dominos (and using the official Domino trays) in October...can't wait for a tasty meal!

Here's to only a few more weeks (right?)....

Steve said...

October can't come soon enough- making fun of the other siblings, especially when they're around, is too much for one Lambson kid to handle, and no one does it like you and me. Hang in there, only a few weeks now

Peeser said...

Thank you. Every now and then, I am reminded of what a great family we have- as I see people around me talk about this problem or that issue or the rough things they are going through with their family, I just think about how, whatever drawbacks we have (and we do have some), we have such an amazing family dynamic, and it gets so easy to take that for granted. So thank you for that reminder that we have something special (even more so with the additions of Joe, Tamara, and now Noah)- and thank you for being a part of what makes this family so great. I love you and can't wait to see you in October!!!!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

This entry was so good to read. I thought as you and Emily were talking on the phone on Friday how grateful I am that all you children love each other and get along so well. What a blessing for a mother.