Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm either really predictable or you guys are really good. You decide.

I like to think that when they were handing out brains, I thought they said awesome family, and asked for a big one. Okay, I know that's not how the usual joke goes and that if Dad were left in charge of it, he would have come up with the perfect substitute for brains and had it still transition perfectly into what I"m going to write about. Sue me. I'm bad at puns.
Back to this awesome family, I really must have done something right up there, because I just sit here smiling, thinking about how great you are. This past week, I've gotten not one, but two care packages from my dear older sisters, Emily and Elise. Add that to the weekly letters I get from either mom or one from Elise or Juli (who I've decided have set up some sort of schedule so I get a letter from one of them every couple of weeks or so), and also the things I've ordered online, and I'm getting a reputation for most mail received. And man, that makes me happy (and a little smug). It makes my morning go by more quickly (that's when we get it), it keeps my afternoon light just thinking about it, and I go to bed counting my blessings like Bing tells us.

Just to give you all a taste of some of the things I've got, here are some pix. For the first one, to represent Juli's, I had to pull a picture from the internet of my favorite item in her care package, b/c I ate the rest of it. So I have no evidence except my satisfied face to show you. (Sorry I didn't get a pic in before devouring the care package, Juli).

These were included in my healthy food care package, and I am only slightly ashamed to say that I was able to down all the bags (I think there were three) in one sitting, defeating the whole 100 calorie purpose. But I couldn't help myself. They were delicious. I loved everything else, but these little suckers stood out in my mind.




Next care package I received was from mom. It included some old magazines (which I love, b/c everything is old to me here, so I don't even notice. I've even shared the National Geographics with a fellow NG lover). She also included some movies in a Netflix-esque arrangement, a cute little lambie, some pictures of you all (which are perfect for my room and office) and other little thoughtful gestures.



Then I got a care package from Emily. She had thoughtfully included some books I've been wanting to read (most of them her favorites, so now I get someone to talk to about the books), some fun little things like that unicorn picture I'm working on coloring, some flavored lip-gloss (and I know she couldn't have guessed it, but my favorite thing right now are the healthy versions of the cookies the lip-gloss is flavored like...I lick my lips all the time), jewelry, and some really cute fingerless gloves from Etsy (?I think?).



Here's a pic of my awkward looking hand holding the series of Arrested Development that Joe is graciously letting me borrow (thanks again!). I can't wait to revisit the crazy Bluth family. I've decided George Michael is going to be my favorite for this viewing. And I love the gloves. They are so punk, yet so cute and comfortable. I am ready to rock them at work!!!



And today, I got a care package from Elise, who I swear must be reading my mind, b/c she included mini hand lotions, sanitizers, m&m's (peanut and peanut butter) and more books and movies for me to enjoy. Plus, she included drink mixes to add to my bottled water (the only thing I drink over here) and a set of Monet note-cards so that you all may continue to enjoy my rambling letters in a pretty package.

All of these packages truly reinforce how much you guys know me. I mean Juli, without any provocation from me (that I know of...did we talk while I was asleep?) packed me tons of healthy snacks and fun little presents within the first month of being here. And then Mom sends me movies that are just what I wanted to watch. And though she knew I knew about the movies, she still included other things she knows' I will enjoy (the lamb was a perfect touch. It reminds me of your music studio and Alfred). Next is Emily who added the perfect small gestures that just made me smile. I can't wait to show off my owl bling, and dive into those books. And I lasted 2 hours before I had to start coloring that silly unicorn picture. Finally, Elise, who I SWEAR must be reading my mind. My hands get so dry over here and I find myself applying lotion all of the time. The thing is, I've been using the rest of this scentless lotion my predecessor left behind. And scentless smells like play-dough. Yuck. But I don't have a lot of options over here. So getting those mini lotions was perfect. And I love the sanitizers, which will be well used b/c with all those dust storms, I'm constantly washing my hands. And it's just everything else. She knows how much I love crosswords, so she included NY Times crosswords for me. Elise remembered that Monet is my favorite artist, and gets me cards with his paintings on the front.

I could go on and on about all of you for the things you've sent me. But that might get dull. And this entry isn't meant to make anyone feel guilty for not sending me something (I've already laid that guilt trip down, and look, it got me three packages). I just am so delighted that all of you get me. You really put thought into what I would like, what I need, and what would make me smile. I mean, I don't think I'm that predictable, so it must mean that you guys really take the time to know me. Man, I got lucky. Each of those packages are very different from the other, yet they all manage to fit me perfectly.

I love you all so much, and I can't thank you enough for your support, whether it be in your prayers, your comments, or wrapped up in a nicely, overtaped (thanks post office), package.

5 comments:

Peeser said...

What about the Honey Mustard Pringles?? Didn't you love those, too?? (At least, I'm pretty sure I included those in this package... if not, I will be certain to include them in the next one!)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the package- I will admit that Emily and Juli helped prod my thinking (Emily mentioned that you are trying to expand your reading- she may have also mentioned lotions, but I can't remember for sure, and Juli mentioned the idea of healthy snacks...), but i am proud to say that most of it came from my own brain.

I also have expanded my DVD collection somewhat, so if you want me to e-mail the list of new additions, let me know! (ah, what the heck- I'll probably e-mail you the list anyway...)

Oh, and I am always going to Bath and Body works for one thing or another (yes, I probably spend more money than I should there, but I have a hard time resisting it...), so if you have specific "orders" you'd like to put in (lotions, soaps, sanitizers, shower gels, body butters, or any other pampering items), let me know!

Would you be interested in a foot bath at all?

anyway, glad you enjoyed the package (deliciously fattening M&Ms notwithstanding ;)-

can't wait to see you in less than two months!!!

Love ya-
Peeser

Emily S. said...

yay! I was JUST thinking about your package, and how today was Day 11 since mailing it, so it had to be getting there soon...
And your blog post was the ultimate comfirmation! I fully admit to grinning when I was the the silly unicorn was colored in. YAY! You didn't snub that particularly random inclusion! :) And THANK YOU for having faith that the gloves would fit. The whole idea is that they'll be snug so they'll be WARM. I hope they help your arctic office somewhat.

Love you mucho. Thanks for the validating post. It made me smile miles wide. For me, mostly, in a "pat-myself-on-the-back" kind of way, but also for you. A little.

(kidding!)

Sarah Lambson said...

I finally sent you the Calc! Sorry it took forever. As I have mentioned in my blog, it has been hit and run. Ug. So it's on its way. Hope it gets there soon! Love you!

Steve said...

I am scum. I feel bad now for not sending you anything. Tell me who I have to kill to make it up to you. Anyone goes, no limits or exceptions.

Seriously, I feel bad and I know that wasn't your intent at all, but Tam and I are going to redouble our efforts and hook you up.

Julina said...

I love the mint grasshopper 100 cal packs (it's a good thing I sent most of them to you, or I'd have done what you did - scarfed them all at once ;-)

And thanks for the thanks - it feels good to be appreciated (especially after a lousy day at work...)

Love you always.