Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Treasures

Merry Christmas all. If you are reading this in the next 24 hours, clearly you are sick of the family and trying to escape. Shame on you. I wasn't really planning on posting today, but I realized I never recognized those of you who have made my holiday something special. I speak of course about the various holiday packages I have received. I've already mentioned the first package from Mom and Dad, Steven and Tamara's package, and had a vlog based around Em's package. I would vlog about this one, but meh, it seems like too much effort right now to deal with the downloading, witty (I wish) banter, and remembering what it is I want to talk about. Instead, we'll do it old school. As my month has progressed, I've also received a package from Elise, Juli, and another one from Mom and Dad.

Oh, and I should mention Kyle and Charlotte (my friend who lives in Pennsylvania) also sent me Christmas packages. So the above photo is just a bit of what I've gotten this month. On the presents are holiday cards I've sent out. And while it does not even come close to showing all I've received, it's a nice taste. The lamb is from Em, as you would know if you watched the vlog. The green and red holiday ornaments are from S and T, the wrapped gifts are from Kyle and Mom and Dad. That bottle is pillow spray from Elise, the tree from Mom and Dad, the snowman ornament and M&M's candy holder from Charlotte, a veritable booty of holiday cheer, all atop my mini fridge.

These next two are to display the advent calendar from Juli, and the Christmas decorations from the folks. Christmas lights are not allowed in rooms (safety/electrical issues), so they heeded the call well. These little reminders have cheered me this month. What you don't see featured are the treats included in M & D, Juli, and Elise's packages. They included things like homemade fudge, cherry nut cookies, 100 calorie packs of all types of sweets, edible coal (humorous and tasty), movies, all sorts of things. I can't even remember it all now. Just know that they were very appreciated. I shared the cookies and fudge with my office, who loved them, and thought about sharing the 100 calorie packs, but nope...too selfish. Seriously though, you all banded together to make my December pretty remarkable. Thank you.

So, how has my day been so far? Well, I didn't set an alarm this morning and for the first time in Iraq, actually slept till I wanted to wake up, which was at about 8:30 a.m. Heaven. I've watched Master and Commander (one of my all time favorite movies, so it was a real treat), eaten stuff that will not be on my diet for the next 2 1/2 months, browsed the internet for funny Conan O'Brien clips (check out on Hulu his "NBC Tour" bits...hilarz), and gone to lunch with Flo at the DFAC. There, they finally had tacky displays that come close to yard inflatables. I didn't take a picture, and the contest may very well be over, but if not, count it. You'll just have to trust me on this. The DFAC employee's went all out with not only the decorations, but the feasting. The food was delicious...I had glazed ham, a stuffing/potato casserole of some sort, corn, rolls, shrimp cocktail, cake, sparkling grape juice, topped off with a candy cane. The employees were all so great. I'm fairly positive most of them are Hindu or Buddhist, but they all greeted us with enthusiastic "Merry Christmas's". There was a camaraderie in the air amongst all there, b/c it was clear we would rather be with our families; but since we are all in this together, we should make the most of it. I opened my gift from Mom and Dad, a book I look forward to reading (and I know the rest of you got, so you know what I refer to). The Sri Lankan boy (I call him boy b/c he looks 14 but must be at least 18) who cleans our office gave me a Christmas card this morning that says "Happy Merry Christmas Day". It was so thoughtful and sweet. It just was great to be around such genuine spirits.

But nothing made my day more than opening an email from Elise explaining my gift this year. I was a bit curious/hesitant to see what she concocted for my gift. I knew it wasn't anything I could use over here b/c I made it explicitly clear that I didn't want anything I couldn't use to be shipped to me, as it would cause more stress than joy for the shipping of it back. So when she stated she was just emailing me a picture of it, I wondered what she possibly thought of. And since I couldn't enjoy it over here (my choice, I realize), I'll admit there wasn't much excitement surrounding this email I would be getting. So I went into the office this morning to fulfill my two hours of work required, piddled around, and finally opened my email. Elise, I'm speechless. Or at least, I was. I'm clearly not now. I also cried right there for anyone to see if they so chose. I'm sure you all know, but she has given me the gift of a chance to swim with dolphins, one of my greatest dreams since as long as I can remember. I know I have the rest of you to thank since you will help cover the cost for my upcoming birthday, but Elise, to remember that, to think of that, and to make it happen, I can't thank you enough. I am truly, utterly and completely blown away and touched. I hate to say it, but I really cannot imagine any gift in my life ever topping this. And that's okay. This will be the Lord of the Rings of gifts, knowing that nothing will be as good, but many things will come darn close. I don't know what else I can say. I thought today would be pretty mediocre, but it isn't. It is the perfect gift.

So, wrapping things up (get it? Wrap things up? Gifts? Wrapping paper? All that???), thank you to everyone who made what could have been a depressing holiday one that I will look upon fondly. From the southern Asian workers to my families packages and perfect gifts, I am truly blessed to have you all supporting me. It's a festivus miracle!! Oh wait, I mean Christmas miracle. Enjoy your holiday, and if you are reading this on the 25th, get back to the family!!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

ha ha...I'm reading this on the 26th, just FYI!!! :)

Everyone is helping your mom tie quilts and Em is out taking pics of your wonderful sises. So, what are S & I doing....just kickin it (S is currently napping from a night of work at the station, and I still in my pjs enjoying the last few days of playing endless spider solitare and checking blogs/emails every few seconds). I'm glad Elise's gift was perr-fect! When she mentioned it, how could we resist???? I'll be more excited when you're actually training/swimming with the darlin's. I hope you had a great day (seems like it was the best it could be), but know things will be better here w/ you next year!