Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ringing in a December

Greetings to everyone!!! I hope your Decembers have started off quite well, filled with the usual delights: the end of a semester, Christmas lights, baking, quality movies, the smells of the holidays, everyone in good cheer, hot chocolate, naps that are justified on the holiday, the start of college basketball getting interesting, traditions, and taking assessment of your year. Those are just a few things I think of when I imagine December. Here in Iraq, I think maybe 2 of those items hold true for me, and those would be the basketball one and the Christmas lights. Our little camp has their own way of trying to bring in the festive spirits, and it includes a tree in our main pavilion which is quite pretty at night. They don't keep it lit very often, so I'll try to catch a picture of it when it is so you can see.



However, I am getting the chance to enjoy some baking. The first of holiday packages came in today. THANKS to Mom and Steven and Tamara. Mom, the cookies turned out delightful and everyone in my office enjoyed one. I'm so glad you thought to include extras b/c often others get enought to share (of whatever their care package includes) and do so; therefore, it was nice to be able to do the same. Now, I know I could extend this to the multiple packages of peanut M&M's Steven and Tamara got me, but you would be crazy to think that. Ain't no one getting their mitts on my candy. Included in these packages were as follows:

Mom's: Christmas decorations, including a stocking, door hanger, mini tree, pillowcase and table cover. See picture for more details. Also, the Christmas socks are perfect, as is the reading material and recorders. I'm not sure anymore about the realities of going to Baghdad for Christmas (details too boring/complex to share here), but I will send one along to Kathy and begin practicing my finger work. For those not in the know, I was so impressed with Steven's reintroduction to the trombone, and very envious of it, that it has sparked a renewed interest in my saxophone. Hey, me, Steven and Mom could be our own little jazz trio!! Anyways, I've grown nostalgic for things I eschewed in my idiotic youth, and Steven's great choice/sacrifice to play in the stake orchestra has motivated me. Included in this nostalgia is a desire to play basketball again, so I think I will look up YMCA/Columbia Parks and Rec type leagues when I move back home. Sorry, getting sidetracked. Thank you mom, so much. I'm so lucky to have your thoughtfulness in my life.

Tamara and Steven: Well, you already heard about the M&M's. My guiltiest and most delightful pleasure. I have no self control when it comes to them, so I'm grateful you didn't send that huge, 3-pounder bag which would have resulted in me eating them furiously in a corner while hissing at those trying to come near. Love them way too much. Also, they included some thoughtful, fun little presents that include the perfect time waster in crosswords, connect four, and some magazines with details of president-elect Obama's win. Despite the differences in politics our country has, I'm glad we can all recognize what a historic event that victory was. The number of voter turnout, the first black president, the importance of the change our country needs (whether it were to come from McCain or Obama, it is needed), and I love that you two included that for me. I also loved that you wrapped everything. Again, see the photo for images of the wrapped gifts, which explains why there are no pix of the Christmas decorations you included, but rest assured, I'm hanging the photo one and the stocking I got from Mom in my office. Oh, and the pictures were great.

Last note, both packages included tons of sugar-free, fruity gum. Have I mentioned my addiction to that on the blog? I could go back and read old entries, but meh, I'm lazy. Well, I LOVE it, and it will be chewed and swallowed shortly.

So, thanks again you all for getting my holiday season off to a great start. I promise this blog is not meant to highlight those who didn't get me a package by now. I don't even expect packages. Any time I get one, it's a positive treat, and I thank you all so very much for thinking of me and taking time out of your lives to send me your love in the best way possible: sheer materialism. J/K of course. Your unconditional love and support is the best kind, but a break in my day and the smile it brings to my face is great too. I know this holiday will be filled with ups and downs for me, and a lot of newness (as I've spent every other Christmas tucked in the bosom of our family), so know that even your thoughts sent my way are enough to emulate a warm cup of cocoa.

Wow, that last line was so cheesy. Methinks the packages have made me embrace sentimentality, which as I love to say, "Sentimentality is wicked...but cynicism is worse." (okay, those aren't my words, they are Jincy Willett's, but I still love them).

For some of you (you know who you are), update your blogs!!!!!! OR, send me an email to let me know how you are doing. I accept emails from all, but there are a certain few I feel out of touch with, so I'm eager to know how the last month of your year is going.

Mele Kalikimaka!!! (It is a WISE way to say Merry Christmas to you.) (Detractors from this sentiment will not be received by me).

4 comments:

Emily S. said...

I'm going back to the post office and TAKING MY PACKAGE BACK. how DARE you throw in those FALSE lyrics at the end??? I was having such a good time!!!

But seriously, I laughed out loud at the hissing in a corner.

And I take FULL credit for the gum thing. YOu told me once about your addiction, so when people ask what to get you, I always throw that tidbit out there for ya.

And..... oh, I just loved 99.72 percent of this post!! Thanks!!

Steve said...

I "lol"d at the hissing thing, too, mainly because I get that way too. And my fingernails actually grow into claws. Kind of disconcerting, in a way.

I like the jazz trio idea, even if it never gets farther than a few jam sessions.

And check my blog for my weigh-in on the "Mele Kalikimaka" debate.

Love you, sis- thank you for your prayers for me, know that you are always in ours.

Tamara said...

I am glad you enjoyed the odds and ends! Especially the connect four...what about the sticky frog...that was Steven's idea!!! And the pictures were my idea. I had to tape the one in there to get it to stay, but you can thank Emily for sharing those other pics with me, too. I figured you could decorate your lil space with them, and so you won't forget what we look like! HAH!

Peeser said...

Fun post- I could just see you hissing in the corner with your bag of M&Ms tightly grasped in one fist as the other hand swipes at anyone who comes within eye-sight of you... very Gollum-esque... :)

I finally have your package together and will ship it tomorrow (I'm a little worried that Steven and Tamara probably sent the same People magazine about the election that I have included in my package- if so, oh well. Too late now to do anything about it...)

Have a great week! (And since my last college class is tomorrow night, I hope to do better at updating the blogging... :)