Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of what???

The 4th of July, in sense of time, means nothing here. We officially celebrated the 4th on the 3rd. Celebrate is a rather strong word here. I think I would be more apt to say "forced to not work more than 2 hours and entertain yourself" the 4th of July. I've been thinking and thinking, and still don't have a decent reason why the 3rd. That's government for you. So, in an abstract sense, I still hold Independence Day near to my heart. Oh, and the actual day too.

I am nearing the end of my fourth, which was filled with a lot of work and presentation making and such. Those are the good days, as they usually pass by more quickly. I spent my (mostly) day off watching the LOTR trilogy. Not very patriotic (unless you're a kiwi) but as I brought the movies over with the intent of viewing them again, I thought I would take full advantage of a 12 hour stretch of free time. I mean, if I were to try and fit them in with my work schedule, I would be splitting the individual movies up into parts. I just don't have a 4 hour chunk of time. Getting to the point, it was the perfect (almost) day off.

I'm going to try and add a picture to the end of this post. If it comes out, it is of a sign that is posted in numerous places around the laundry room. If it doesn't, two dollars to the person who can guess what it will say.

Enjoy your freedom to celebrate freedom everyone.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Mmmmmmm....kiwi.....

Per the laundry room sign, I wager it's some bad translation of a foreign phrase into English.

Can I have two dollars anyway?

Tamara said...

Hmmmmm....signs around the laundry room. I agree with Steven here...prolly some bad translation thing.

What would it say, though?

"Never leave your laundry not assisted" (to attend and to assist always get mixed up in Spanish)

Just a guess...prolly not right, though.

genevieve said...

Hey Beckie...

Since I (over)heard you talking about what shows you wanted to watch next (and yeah, not that you can get a bunch over there...but...when you get back? Maybe?), I thought I'd tell you one I absolutely *luv*...we seem to have similar taste in TV, and I wondered if you'd seen "Veronica Mars" yet. High school drama, an impossibly clever heroine, and a big season-long mystery to keep you engrossed 'til the end.

Plus, I love how your blog list shows which one was updated last.

Happy un-4th. The "Fire in the Sky" performance this year was a good one to miss. Blech.

~genny

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

I say it is the same sign that should be posted in our laundry room
"Move your laundry!"

am I close?

Beckie said...

You all are wrong, but not as wrong as you would think. Read the most recent post and you'll understand why I can't post the picture yet.

Genny, I love,love Veronica Mars. I was absolutely crushed when they didn't continue it for a 4th season. I love hearing of fellow fans, as this show was definitely under-appreciated. And I hear you are a Gilmore Girls lover. That's in my top three all time favorite shows.