Monday, July 21, 2008

I came to Iraq and all I got was this sand-flea bite.

Okay, I don't know if I've actually been bitten by a sand-flea yet. I mean, I've had a couple of mosquito-esque bites in the past month, and haven't seen any mosquito's, so I'm assuming it's the dreaded sand-fleas. At least it isn't flesh-eating ants, which DO exist in parts of Africa. Who was watching that Discovery investigation with me about the baby being covered in them? Kirsti?

Now that I've sufficiently horrified you, let me continue to do so by saying that as we speak, Barack Obama is in Iraq. I don't have the same feelings as most of you about the democratic nominee, so I find this kind of exciting. I mean, I still plan to vote independent, so it isn't politically motivated. But just the fact that I'm in a country that is a destination spot for a presidential hopeful is pretty cool. And the thing is, Kathy might get to meet him. I was telling Steven earlier that Kathy has to wear her Kevlar vest for the next couple of days, not because Barack might take a shot at her, but b/c they anticipate extra action around the IZ. Apparently, Barack plans to stop by the Palace there (once housed Sadaam himself, but now houses offices and a DFAC) and do his usual kissing babies, spreading propaganda schtick. I mean, she comes to Iraq to meet a possible future president. How crazy is that? So I am sure the security measures I went through for the visiting military officials pale in comparison to what she will go through.

Lastly, just watched Rear Window the other night, and I completely forgot how good it was. I think I was just in an unenlightened time when I first saw it, b/c I definitely wouldn't have put it on my top 5 Hitchcock movies of all time. But I'm going to have to amend that. I love all of the sharp dialogue, and the feelings of paranoia and not being believed. Everything. I recommend everyone give it another go, because you won't be disappointed. I mean, I was so thoroughly entertained by every part of that movie. Icing on the cake would be to watch the Simpsons parody afterward, but alas, I don't have access to such things.

That's all...enjoy your week everyone.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

'I know all too well about the sand fleas....had them in my apartment/bed/clothing in one particular area when I served in Chile. I had them SO BAD that I thought I was terribly allergic to something and went to the Doctor. Long story short, I had to show him my bites and he just laughed at me! ugh...ooh the humilitation of pulling down your pants just to have someone giggle at you. Straight mortification, let me tell you!

Here's what he suggested (which was very helpful) so I'll pass it along to you...when you get home, take your clothes off in the front room. Make sure you check everywhere, then walk to your room and put clean clothes on (ones that haven't been outside)....that helped them stay outta my bedding at least!

THEN...a week later, I just wanted to see if you could see the fleas, so I got down on the front room floor, and low & behold...little creatures jumping everywhere...where I'd just dusted them off me!

Terrible those things! So sorry you have to deal with them. Start a collection of them in a journal...that;s what I did. I named them, and wrote down the date and the place where I'd acquired them....fun game!

Steve said...

Sand fleas, eh? I'm a little weirded out that my wife, of all people, would name her fleas as she preserved them forever in her journal. What might be cooler is to catch them alive, make little suits of armor for them, and use a cereal bowl as the Coliseum as your little flea warriors reenact your favorite scenes from "Gladiator."

It's like a flea circus, but better- a flea "Circus Maximus!"

(i honestly don't know where this weird stuff comes from)

Tamara said...

ok, i admit it.....naming my fleas who viciously attacked me is kinda silly, but WIERD? Admitting to the idea of the Gladiator arena w/ a cereal bowl is the craziest thing I've ever heard of....and craziest of all....you're blook related to this crazy man!

Julina said...

That's it - I'm checking out Rear Window on my way out of the library (assuming someone hasn't beaten me to it).

Maybe Citizen Kane, too - I've never seen in and I want to see what all the hype is about.

I don't understand biting insects - or really, even non-biting ones (swarms of gnats around your head as you pull weeds in the garden, anyone?)

I decided on my mission that mosquitos were literally the devil's insects - but I think we can add sand fleas to the list...

I think it's funny that before he left, Afghanistan and Iraq weren't officially on Obama's itinerary - as if we didn't all know he'd be going there - he could hardly avoid it! But I guess that was part of the security measures, too. But now he's in Jordan en route to Israel, so you can go back to "normal"...

Have a good one.

Peeser said...

Sorry, Tamara- what I find horrifying is that you call it a "fun" game to collect these nasty parasites. Oh well, I suppose it's going to be an interesting mission story for you to tell your kids (even more so when you show them the evidence).
Beckie- maybe you could take grotesque pictures of the bites and sell them to some medical research journal- try to make a little extra "fun" money on the side... ;)
Hope it gets better!