Thursday, July 17, 2008

"We'll follow the old man *er* woman..."

Tomorrow is a big deal for the USACE group. We are changing commanders. Our former commander is returning to the States, and a female colonel is taking over. Don't ask me what the military titles mean, just know that this is a big enough deal for the general over camp Speicher to make an appearance. Now, while I may not be working directly for the military, I'm still required to participate in all activities the rest of USACE does. I'm not allowed to exclude myself, that way, an attitude of togetherness can be fostered. So I will be with my fellow workers, sitting in the heat of Iraq, listening to various figureheads posture on the state of construction in Iraq. Pardon me if I'm not too excited about this. The one cool thing is that they are bringing dogs in tomorrow morning to sniff out scary things. I assume this is for the General. And while I am a bit resentful at the concept that they only bring in the dogs when a bigwig shows up, I am appreciative of the fact that they are making the camp the most secure it can be. I just wish I could play with the dogs, but I think they have a no-touch rule. Too bad.

Meanwhile, the power went out for about 20 minutes today. I was shocked at how quickly my south pole-like trailer became a stuffy closet. For that 20 minutes, I had horrifying visions of having to sleep and eat in this condition. I nearly worked myself into a heat-induced frenzy. I can't begin to tell you the things I will do to avoid being hot when trying to sleep. They may involve Fear Factor-esque tasks. Thank heavens we don't have to find out how cheaply I'm willing to sell my dignity for a working air-conditioner (yet).

Work continues to be the same. Nothing too interesting to report there. I'm finding these past couple of weeks dragging. That's not how it's supposed to go! I'm supposed to live a half-like existence where the days drag, but the weeks fly by. Sadly, this is not the case for the month of July. Many of you already know my goal is to make it to August, b/c this means that I will be on the downhill cycle of this ride. So, here's hoping the latter half of the month goes by more quickly than the first couple of weeks.

On another note, I've started Planet Earth. So far, it completely lives up to the promise. I'm actually quite surprised (pleasantly) at the number of times I've laughed out loud. Animals are funny. They also are quite tragic. This documentary does not hold back on the realities of nature and her patterns. When an elephant started going the wrong way towards much needed water, I nearly started bawling. And while I respect and understand the film crews need to remain objective and detached, I still was wishing they would land their helicopter and lead this elephant back in the right direction. I hope to finish quickly, so that those of you who don't want to shell out the cash can enjoy the delights of this series. I only wish I could watch these with someone. Specifically you, Mom. I keep imagining the comments you would make, back at your sewing machine, and the things that will make you laugh. (There's one part in the first one about Birds of Paradise that I know you will love!) But that is for a future date. For now, I love you all and hope your summers are going fantastic!!!

4 comments:

Julina said...

re: your list of things you don't miss - I know what you mean about previously unappealing tasks, though it's for a very different reason in my case - I've even done ironing and worked on my resume!

As for your change in command - I wonder how much difference it will make in reality. Especially for your job. And I'm sorry the dogs are no-touchy. Will you get to see them, at least? Or will you have to clear out before they send them in to check things out?

And do I get dibs on Planet Earth (at least part of it) for loving you? Or does Steven 'cause he asked first?

Hang in there - love you

Peeser said...

Even though I would love to call dibs on Planet Earth, I think Juli should get first dibs because, as Beckie pointed out, she is clearly the favorite sister/family member for being the most diligent in sending a care package.
I do promise, however, that one is coming...in addition to a letter (the letter should be on its way soon; I hope to have the package ready by next week...)

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

Hey, I'm the one who told her to go ahead and buy the series so I claim firsties. Plus, I am the mom. Enough said! And, then, I will watch and run my sewing machine to chase all you out of the family room. Nah, not really. I joked you all.

Beckie said...

Alright, alright, quit your bickering. You can all have Planet Earth. I just discovered a way to replicate BBC documentaries (a very specific replicator), so no one has to do without.

This, as you can guess, is completely untrue. I do love Juli the most, but I did promise my mother first. And she did give birth to me. So, I will make it up to you all somehow. And you can put the pressure on Mom hardcore to finish it in ample time. Let the fun begin!!!