Friday, July 11, 2008

Thanks a million!

To start, I would like to thank you all for your support and advice. Bad news first, I don't think any of the advice would work. I did a pretty effective job of screwing this up. It was my recovery software that erased all of this, and I think unless I committed a lot of time to a computer nerd (which I don't have), I might be able to get some things back. But I don't want to be parted with my mis-behaving baby, so I will move on. Also, the IT people here are super busy and not too friendly, so I would rather avoid that. Therefore, my loss will remain a permanent one. But your suggestions were fantastic. And if I were in the States, I would follow every last one of them.

The good news is that I can track down all pix except one folder. And I am sad for that folder, but they didn't have my most precious photos. That makes me feel a lot better. The itunes thing is not as easy. I just finally got it to download on my laptop, so now begins the slow process of accumulating music.

I would also like to publicly thank Juli for the completely unexpected, amazing, perfectly thought out, care package she sent me. While there was no official contest as to who loves me the most, there was a scorecard in my head going, and Juli officially wins. Not only is she the first to send me a package, she was the first to send me regular mail. Mom's letter from AZ came the next day, but "close" doesn't win games. I could go on and continue to force my competitiveness on the love you feel for me, but that seems petty.

Truly though, Juli, it was perfect. I will be riding on a natural high from it for a while. I love you so much. If only there were a need for endless sand and shredded paper in your life, I could return the favor. I'll figure something out.


Okay, off to battle itunes.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Don't worry- I still have ten months to get back in the favorite sibling game. You wait and see!

Regarding snail mail, Tamara and I were absolutely delighted to get your colorful letter- it made me laugh and smile. If we want to send you a letter, do we just use the address on the envelope you sent us? And for packages, do we mail them to Virginia or directly to you?

Emily S. said...

Argh!! **shakes fist at the sky**

I have one in the works, but I've been foiled.


Boo for Juli's cursed ORGANIZATION and focus.

(But yay for you!!)

Tamara said...

I coulda guessed this one....I knew Juli would be focused, thoughtful, and rapido at this task...but knowing that I'm a returned missionary who felt just as giddy as a child getting a lollipop everytime a package came in the mail (so what if it was a 6-pack of angel soft tp?)....doesn't it feel great?

I WILL say that Steven & I have made plans (and if it weren't for Steven's ability to forget ;) and my teaching summer school bit) but unfortunately, we haven't ACTED on any of them just yet. But don't worry....we are holding out....'til the newness of you being in Iraq has worn off, til school starts back up again, til Emily is so bogged down with photo sessions, til your dad has way too many church meetings to attend, til your mom is traveling with the orchestra, til Kirsti graduates, & til Sarah is back in MO.....(did I forget anyone?)....basically, when everyone else has fogotten about sending you blissful things....THEN Steven & I will come to the rescue and make your YEAR in Iraq well worth it.

And don't worry...if fingerless gloves makes the list...we'll get you some, I promise!

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

you have only received ONE snail mail letter so far???? Yikes!

Julina said...

I win, I win!

But I'm even more thrilled that you already got it - the post office gave me an estimate of 2 weeks when I mailed it out, so if they were right, you still wouldn't have it (and someone else would have gotten the glory ;-)

Seriously - I'm glad you got it and that it made your day - that makes my day (truly - I'm grinning at the library computer right now).

Good luck with the itunes battle (it may already be over by the time I'm commenting here...) and everything else.

P.S. just to show that I can be a good winner ;-) here's a tip to those with packages still in the works:

The USPS has large flat rate boxes for APO addresses that ship for $2 less than the regular rate for large boxes. (there are also a couple of smaller sizes that ship for the same rate regardless of address - but you can fit a lot more in the big boxes...). So if you're getting a big box at the post office, be sure to ask for the *APO box*.

Love you, B