Sunday, November 9, 2008

Glasses!!! I can't see anymore!!!

As some of you may know, one of my biggest priorities for my trip in October was visiting the eye doctor. I had become something of a joke in my office with the way I squint at the computer. My strained vision (mainly affected reading) wasn't a big deal until I came to Iraq and spent 11 hours a day staring at small print on a computer. So I was filled with anticipation over the idea that I could reduce my crows feet by not squinting for half of my day. However, things never go according to plan, and instead of having plenty of time to visit a reputable doctor and have even more time to select the perfect pair, I found myself at Wal-Mart, only a few days before I was about to leave, and without anyone to give me solid advice on the frames. Plus, I was on pain meds and muscle relaxants for another bout with my back, so my decision making skills were rushed and impaired. When I described the glasses to Kathy as black, chunky with rhinestones, I was not surprised when she died laughing and insisted on being the first to view these glasses. And frankly, I was doubting myself and worrying I had picked the ugliest pair just because the Wal-Mart lady kinda liked them.

Well, Mom has shipped them to me, and while I like them, I'll leave it to the jury. Feel free to leave no comment if they don't move you in any way, but otherwise, I encourage both negative and positive feedback. If you are worried I will go crashing into a pit of despair in case you think they are unflattering, remember, I'm in the desert and instantly 2 degrees hotter (both literally and figuratively) b/c of it, so I'll be fine.



Incidentally, I've learned I have a crooked smile, and that I photograph better from the left. For future reference, Emily.

8 comments:

genevieve said...

Those TOTALLY work for you!

(I have such a fear of my own glasses...I go for the least obtrusive pair, ones that don't change how I look, because I'm convinced I'll be even more uggo with them--and I barely wear them anyway; they're just a backup for my contacts. So I never go for risky pairs like yours. But this may change my mind. You look fan-diggety-tastic!)

~genny

Steve said...

Honest opinion- they look really good. They are the right size and style, and rhinestones might become an "in" thing again because of you. Really, sis, they look great!

Tamara said...

I think they are really cute on you. And you look dang hot and for reals skinny, too in that top pic! Girl...are you forgettin to eat over there (besides on fish days)? I like the size of the lens, and they are really flattering on you. But next time, I hope you have a better situation for "gettin it done"...no back pains, a decent doc, and more time to browse. I'll be doing those same things in December...it's time I got a new pair. You know it's bad when one of your students looks at you and says, "those are SO outta style, and they make you look old. You should really think about buying another pair soon." I shoulda said, "Well, I am thinking about failing you for the semester...is that ok, missy?"

Sarah Lambson said...

You. Are. Hot...but seriously.

Mary Victoria said...

They look fabulous!! Great photos too, you look lovely. Really.

I'm going to be in your area in a week...I'll email you so we can get Green Bean...yummm :)

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

They look really good! And, you look like you have lost weight since October?!?!?! Impressive.

Emily S. said...

yep-- ditto all over the place-- the frame shape is really great with your face, and the bold frames match you so very well. You are looking extremely personality-filled and darling, which is a feat in boring old IRAQ. :) :)

LOVE them a TON!

Peeser said...

As noted by everyone above, they really do look great! They really bring out your eyes, which look so beautiful in all three pics- In fact, in the top two pics, I almost couldn't tell it was you- If I didn't know already that it WAS you, it probably would have taken me a minute or two to recognize you (of course, that's not just the glasses- you totally deserve to win the family Biggest Loser because you are looking fantastic! I wish I could say the same for yours truly...)