Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quirky Me!!! Idiot Style...

Okay, so this is the first survey I've done for my blog, even though I'm sure I've been tagged numerous times before. I wish I could do more, b/c survey's are my favorite thing in the world, but what with a lack of time to spend on here, I have to make my blogging decisions carefully; the computer version of Sophie's Choice.

So Tamara, I'm not going to follow the rules exactly b/c I don't know how to provide a link to you blog, but since only family reads this, I think that's okay...they should know how to get there by now. Also, I'm not going to tag anyone b/c I literally think I only follow 6 people on their blogs and vice versa, so that seems a smidge pointless. Regardless, I have to list and detail 6 quirks of mine, so here goes:

1. Debating: I LOVE to debate. I mean, there is nothing that gets my blood pumping faster than the heat of a good discussion. I used to debate in high school and then again in college, and I tell you, I miss it. Knowing your argument is superior and being able to TALK someone into submission is a glorious feeling. On a more personal level, I love to debate with friends and family. However, I do NOT like it when people try to make someone else feel stupid, or refuse to follow basic rules of logic, or don't have opinions on even the most important of issues. I have an opinion on everything and am fully prepared to back each one up. So it kills me when someone I respect and love, doesn't have an opinion on the state of the environment, or on the education system, or on whether or not American Idol can continue their complete dominance. A perfect debate will end in an equal exchange of ideas, with no derogatory attitudes or statements, and where each member leaves the conversation more educated, with a new way to look at things, and respecting the others view. Meaning, if we are engaged in a debate over what is the greatest Disney movie of all time, I don't have to convince you it's Beauty and the Beast, and you don't have to convince me it's The Lion King. But if we leave the debate wiser and with a new found appreciation for each, then that's just bliss.

2: I hate bugs. I hate them so much I refuse to include a picture with them. I don't know when I turned into such a sissy, but I hate them. I STILL cannot watch that scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. You all know what I'm talking about. I understand the necessity of them, but man, they are gross. I've reached a point where I am seriously contemplating living in a cement house with only a mat on the floor so no bugs can get in and hide places. If you can think of a way they can penetrate my concrete fortress, please don't tell me.

3: Photo time is not often happy time for me. People seem to want to take pictures right when I'm in a bad mood, or maybe it's that I'm in a bad mood whenever people take pictures. The exception has become Emily, weirdly enough. I think it's because she will let me put my foot down on pictures I hate myself in and I love her for that. But if you will look back in our family albums, I'm often shown very grumpy, possibly with red eyes from throwing a childish fit.

4: I chew my fingers when I get anxious. Disgusting, I know, but it doesn't help that I spend large amounts of my time with fellow finger chewers. Many members of my family, and the most egregious of them all, Kyle. We enable each other, and then abuse each other for that same behavior. I'm thinking of putting myself into a coma for 3 weeks to possibly break myself of this habit. I can't be a finger chewer when I'm 30, can I?

5: I HAVE to watch/read things in order. Read Harry Potter book 6 without having just read the first 5? Heck no!! I get weeded just thinking about it. I can't watch a trilogy out of order, I can't watch the third season of The Office just because that's the only season someone has, I have to start at the beginning and work my way up. The ONLY exception is if the show/books/movies are set up to where history doesn't matter. For instance, The Simpsons, Law and Order, Agatha Christie novels. I know, I know, there are smidges of history, like Maude dying and such, but otherwise, watching those out of order does not effect the experience. However, I cannot just sit down to Return of the King and watch it. I have to build to that climax. And I think TRUE fans would agree with me. (yeah, I'm talking to all of you who have read Harry Potter books out of order. Heavy judgment coming from me here).

6: If there is EVER a Top Model marathon going on, I'm watching it. I've seen all the cycles (yes, Tyra is pretentious enough to call them cycles, not seasons), but that doesn't matter. If I don't have to be anywhere, and sometimes, even if I do, I put it on, cook to it, sleep to it, eat to it. I love me some Top Model and VH1 and MTV have NO problem supplying me with enough to feed the purple dragon.




So I don't know if those were actually quirks, but if Alanis can sing a song about irony and use examples that aren't ironic, I can claim these 6 factoids about myself are quirky.

3 comments:

Peeser said...

Well, I am totally with you on the Harry Potter thing- I can't start in the middle. NO matter how many times I have read them, I have to re-read them in order if I want to get to the end of the series... Pretty much the same with certain movies- mostly Harry Potter and LOTR (I'm not as picky about watching Spiderman or Indiana Jones out of order).

I love all those quirks about you- I especially like that debating has become more fun than argumentative (we definitely had some rough spots growing up- I hated that you could make yourself sound right, even if I knew you were wrong...)- I have a student you would just love because he does the same thing (though sometimes his arguments are a bit weak, but he tries to talk his way around and out of anything and everything- it cracks me up...)

(And obviously, there shouldn't be any debate over the best Disney movie because Beauty and the Beast IS the best one. That's just a fact. :)

Tamara said...

Thanks for doing the post, and I'm happy to see you put a "beckie twist" to it. I always have to find a bit to personalize myself, so good for you! I hope you enjoyed it.

1. I like debating, but I have a small flaw...I have to have the LAST say, and I have to be right. If not, I end up in tears and get pretty viscious (something that I need to work on...but then again, maybe not).

2. The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney film...sorry, Beckster!

3. I HATE bugs too. Spiders, too. And my lil apt is FULL of them...nasty! I just wanna live insectless, is that too much to ask?

Emily S. said...

love the detail... And love remembering all your fun, unique idiosyncracies. Makes me miss you, but also makes me smile!