Friday, November 21, 2008

Hating is the new black.

Before I get to the brunt of this email, a bit of tacky business first. Let me first say I hate that I have business that needs taking care of, but some things are surprisingly hard to do while living in a war zone. Who knew?

1: Well, that time has come again. We've been waiting for it all year, hoping and praying that our wishes will come true, saving our money for this special event. That's right, People's Sexiest Man Alive issue is on the verge of coming out, and this year, they've anointed Hugh Jackman as their world's sexiest man. Now, as you all read in the previous posting, I'm saving my attached self for Hugh; therefore, I need to support him in all that he does. First things, getting my mitts on this magazine. Normally, I am loathe to spend any kind of money on publications resembling People, but this issue and the one they do every year about people losing half their body weight are the two worth seeking out. However, I do not think I will have access to purchasing People here, at least, no guaranteed access, so if anyone is thinking of sending me a package (height of tacky right now, I know. I'm cringing as I type), if perchance they could include a copy of this issue. I owe it to my future husband to read magazines he's featured on.

2: This blends well into my next point of business. Being even tackier than the previous point (and we thought we were at the very top), Christmas packages. I don't know if anyone is planning on sending one, and I promise you this is not a plea for you to do so. However, if you are planning on it, and you are set on getting it to me by Christmas day, they highly recommend you get the package mailed by December 4th. I originally thought it was December 11th, but that's for less volatile areas the military is installed. For us scary country folk, they need a bit more time to get their bomb sniffing dogs to sniff out our packages. I don't say this to stress anyone, I just thought you should know.

I think that's all the business I have for now. I'm currently listening to Bing Crosby's Christmas album (which I caved and bought b/c I have no Christmas music here and Bing has become my absolute favorite) and I'm filled with happiness. No regrets or sorrow yet, so that makes me smile. Some of you may know, I wasn't planning on doing anything really Christmas-y. Most of that is born out of practicality. It's kinda hard to drive around and look at Christmas lights in Iraq, as well as make candies with parents, wrap gifts while watching Christmas movies, and decorating the tree while The Carpenters Christmas album plays. (Those are my favorite of all favorite holiday activities). And I will miss that. Heck, I miss it already even if it isn't that time of year just yet. I wasn't planning on really doing anything though. No Christmas music, movies, stories, none of that. I was just going to enjoy the day off and try not to think about what I'm missing out on. But I've decided that would be depriving myself. Yes, I'm not surrounded by the holidays like I desire, and I will possibly be spending Christmas in my room, watching movies. If anything, it's going to give me a whole new appreciation for my family and my traditions. I'm hoping that I can go to Baghdad and spend Christmas with Kathy, where we will watch A Charlie Brown Christmas (her favorite) and It's a Wonderful Life (my favorite...after White Christmas of course) and be grateful we are doing well, we are paying off debts, and that we will have next year to make even more amazing. To make a long story short (too late), I'm not going to hold myself back from enjoying what I can of Christmas over here, even though there isn't much. I'll bring it, I don't need where I live to provide it. I'll celebrate Christmas in my heart, even when the constant dirt makes me wonder if White Christmas's even exist.

Onto the meat of what this entry was supposed to be about. The following is a link to an amusing article Kyle sent me. What he couldn't have foreseen was the strongest desire to rant about it. I mean, he should have b/c everyone who knows me knows I'm happiest when ranting. However, living in pre-Boca Raton with all the mid-life crisis folks, I don't have anyone who is really on the same page as me. And what is a blog if not a place to force people to read your rantings?

http://jezebel.com/5092089/i-was-a-teenage-trend+hater-despising-twilight-is-big-for-fall


Well, as you can tell by the link, this might have something to do with Twilight. I liked Twilight. It was an addictive book that forced me to sneak reading it during slow shifts at Mac Shack, and had me panting to get my hands on the last of the series. I encouraged those around me to read it and hoped they derived the same pleasure from it that I did. I did not claim or believe it to be the next Harry Potter. I don't need a "next Harry Potter", much like I don't need another "Lord of the Rings." I have them. I have accepted that no other book or movie experience will be the same as those two. I'm okay with that. So I didn't go into Twilight looking for it to be my new obsession. I enjoyed it for what it was. No, it's not Jane Austen, but it is fun. I love vampires, so it was right up my alley. Yes, I was a bit disappointed that most of my family did not enjoy these quite as well as I. But I don't like Homestar Runner, so I'm sure disappointment goes two ways. I even like to harass Kirsti and Sarah about their unabashed hatred of it. I mean girls, WHY are you going to see the movie when you hated the books and the main character makes you want to chew glass? And you were thinking of wearing "I hate Twilight" shirts? Why? You two are cra-cra. But I love you, so know that this rant is not directed towards you two. Nor is the article.

The article did infuriate me though, or rather, the comments did. The article itself was fun, witty and made great points. I love my principles and find them a lot warmer at night than most popular things. However, these comments and a previous article on the Entertainment Weekly site has opened my eyes to something. I don't want to hate something just because it's popular. I have a few things I've sworn never to attempt b/c of their enormous and in my eyes, unjustified, popularity. Grey's Anatomy, Play Station 3, Y107, sushi, stuff like this. But when I was reading the hostility and incredible arrogant pride of people who think they are sooooo great because they've never seen an episode of Friends or won't watch/read anything Harry Potter makes me sick, and almost has me running to watch Grey's while eating sushi. Not quite, but it has convinced me to never swear off of something without giving it a chance. I'm talking pop culture here of course, not crimes or anything like that. I mean, who is so absolutely proud of the fact that they have never done anything? And then to act intellectually superior to those who do is ridiculous. If you have never seen/read it, how do you know???

Furthermore, when people criticize the writing of J.K. Rowling and such, and claim it's terrible and how they would rather read Milton or something, it makes me want to rip their faces off. Did anyone anticipate that Lewis Carroll's childrens stories would be on the AP reading list, or that Mozart, who was panned for a lot of his music, would be revered for even breathing on a sheet of music these days? Vertigo was HATED and considered film crap when it was released, and a mere 50 years later, AFI considers it the best suspense movie ever made. What I'm trying to say is that to compare Harry Potter to classics and saying it is crap is closeminded and weak. We don't know what we will consider classics from the 90's and 2000's. And if you hated the books, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But maybe, just maybe, you should get over it. I mean, Twilight has a lot of moments that are easy to disagree with, but no one forced you to read it, or the following books...so go ahead and dislike them, but QUIT hating on people who don't share your opinion. It's lame. (Sarah and Kirsti, this isn't something you do, so I love you for that...thanks for not giving me crap.) I hate the Family Guy (i did give it a chance and wish I could have that 20 minutes back), but I do not go onto sites and comment excessively about what an offensive show it is.

Okay, I've got to wrap this up. Basically, I NEED to stop reading comments on the internet. They get me so worked up. I hope my rant was a bit cohesive, because I had a lot to say and I'm not sure I presented my argument very well. I do better when I can verbalize, largely b/c my loud voice intimidates people into agreeing with me. I guess I just wish people wouldn't be so amazingly critical. Stephanie Meyers just set out to write some books that meant something to her, and miracle of miracles, they struck a note with a large amount of people. She doesn't deserve all the crap and backlash she has gotten. Same with J.K. Lay off the authors, enjoy or don't enjoy the books, and move on. But if you did enjoy them, call me.

3 comments:

Steve said...

True story- I actually have a piece of paper on which the great composer Mozart once breathed. It was rice paper, so no go for writing music on it, but it has been graced with the exhalings of a genius.

Some guy on the street in Kansas City sold it to me- a real bargain at $500.

I, like Cass Van Rye (Cheri Oteri's character on "Morning Latte"), feel that everything should be judged solely on appearance :) And for that reason, I won't go see the movie. I saw the trailer and can't remember, outside the obvious "Pride and Prejudice," when I've wanted to see a movie less.

Here's my thing about Twilight. It's the same thing for me as Grey's Anatomy, Pride and Prejudice, and Family Guy. I feel reasonably confident that I will not enjoy watching it, therefore I will avoid it like the plague. I guess I make a big deal about how awful they look because it's fun and it gets good reactions. I would never read Twilight, because, again, I think I just would not enjoy it. But I also won't criticize Stephanie Meyer for writing it the way she did, at least not without reading it first.

I am guilty of some of the "new black," regarding Twilight, though, because I have to keep myself from laughing and pointing at all the LDS book clubs and Relief Society watch parties. I just don't get it.

But then, I wore a Star Trek uniform to school for funsies, so my credibility is absolutely shot to pieces.

I really don't know the overall point of this comment, but I enjoyed your post. Look for a post on my blog about how I view myself as a consumer of entertainment.

And keep the Christmas spirit- I just got done setting up our Christmas tree (Tamara has allergies to real ones, so we got a fake one, albeit a really nice fake one...don't hate. Blame nature, as one should always do). I listened to the CD with Gene Autry and Andy Williams and Patti Page and so on as I did it. Christmas bliss!

Love you, sis! Happy thanksgiving, in case I don't get to tell you beforehand!

Emily S. said...

DIBS!!!!!!! Dibs on sending the People Magazine. Dibs, dibs, dibs. It will fill my flat rate box nicely.

Nice rant-- and a healthy perspective you are hatching.

I think Greys and sushi is a very important step. Or maybe FOREST GUMP.

Haha!!

Even if you continue to avoid those things, you are now trying to be more aware, and that is so good. We CAN still change, even in our ooolllld age.

Love you!

J.Ammon said...

If there's gonna be hate towards popular things there needs to be humor about it, cuz if there isn't, I'd say it's probably more bitterness and jealousy than anything else.

P.S. Coke is evil